Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Method 10 -- Wikis

I love wikis. Last year our library consultant set up a wiki page for the librarians. I kept thinking wow this would be a great way to send out information to my staff. One day I was locked in my office while they were using the library for a meeting and I decided to make my own wiki page.

I started with PBWORKS and it was fantastic.

I now use my library wiki page to get information to my staff. Instead of doing a monthly newsletter I update my wiki page and make a monthly folder. I send the link to the teachers when I have updated. At first I asked teachers to join so they would get automatic updates....I found that 3/4 of the staff did but I found by making my page public and sending the link when I do updates easier. This also allowed a place for teachers to comment. This can lead to collaboration.

This summer I was asked to do a workshop on students and research. I did not want to make handouts--so I made a wiki page. This was a big hit.

I also made a wiki page for the 4th graders when they were doing research. I put websites I wanted them to use on the page and I also included the requirements the teacher had and a rubric. I think wikis are wonderful.

My wiki page is public but I have only sent the link to teachers and fellow educators. I have not shared this with the parents yet.

I really think wikis are a wonderful and easy way to share information and to collaborate with teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment