Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Method 9--Chat and Instant messaging

I have been chatting and iming for a while. Once I got hooked on AOL--well that was the starting point. Iming is fantastic. I can be working on this project and talking to my friends or family at the same time.

Once again our school district does have this type of technology blocked. But I know that students still im using phones, etc. Since I am in an elementary school I really don't see students doing this but I know that many do chat or im at home.

I do think I could see the advantage of using chat or ims in the library. I would love to be able to set up a chat room to discuss a topic with teachers as they had time during their conference periods during the day -- I have thought of setting up something on AOL and inviting teachers to join.

A parent chat room might also have its advantages.

I also could see using IMs to assist teachers. There are many times when a learning moment happens in the classroom and the teacher will have to stop and email me or write a note (we all know that usually an oral message brought by a students is usually---I forgot what she said when they arrive at the library). IMing would be a great way to discuss things.....I can see where this would be a problem with teachers and teaching time but I can see that it would be a great asset to have.

I would also love to have a way to IM fellow librarians...yes we have email and we do have a library wiki page but IMing would be as it says instant. I could also see that we could have discussions or training in chatrooms.

I do plan on discussing Meebo with the powers that be to see if perhaps we could have something set up at least for staff members.

I can see this as a future asset to libraries.

No comments:

Post a Comment