Sunday, November 22, 2009

Method 3--Clouds

I think these tools are wonderful. This is a fantastic way to work -- being able to access my files from any computer--home,school, any computer. This is great. Also this could offer a fantastic way to collaborate with teachers in planning lessons and units.

For my library I think these tools and concepts will be an exciting adventure. I will be able to teach my staff and students the benefits as well as the things they will need to consider when using some of the "Cloud" tools. I think that as librarians we must lead by example and learn to use the tools and the ramifications.

I already am using wikis and find them a fantastic way to share information. I think one big advantage is not having to have software. In the past I have found that often my software needed to be updated but there was not always money in the budget for the update. By using clouds I can use current software and I will have access from anywhere ---including possibly cell phones.

I think that we all need to be cautious about privacy and remember when saving to the clouds you do loose some control---if a website goes under--you could loose access. Some files I will continue to keep a back up on a flashdrive.

I also think that online productivity tools can be used to gather data quickly from individuals (such as information for a reading program from each teacher in my building--I could use google docs to make a spread sheet to gather the information). I also think that these tools can add to collaboration opportunities with faculty. I can post things on my wiki and the teachers can comment, edit, or add files.

I think that online productivity tools are in our future and as librarians we need to learn what is available and inform our patrons of their availablity and uses.

No comments:

Post a Comment